Monday, May 9, 2011

*Apply TODAY for Caregiver Benefits*

Last year a bill was passed which provided for (among other things) the support and care of those who are caring for severely injured veterans of the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan.  This care was supposed to begin in January, but has been repeatedly delayed.  However, there's FINALLY good news!

The Veterans Administration begins taking applications TODAY and expects to pay the first stipend payments by July.

Caregivers who qualify will be eligible for the following benefits: a stipend (amount varies depending on level of injuries), mental health services, respite care, health care (through ChampVA, if not covered by another plan), caregiver training, and medical support.

Applications are available on the VA caregiver website ( and can be hand delivered to the Caregiver Support Coordinator at your local VA Medical Center or sent by mail to a central processing center (address available in the fact sheet below).

As of now, only those caring for veterans who have served since September 11, 2001, are eligible.  But, there are plans in place to possibly extend the program to all caregivers in the future.

FYI - The VA is recommending that caregivers apply AS SOON AS POSSIBLE since there are likely to be a lot of families applying in the coming weeks!

For more info, visit these links:

VA Enhances Support of Family Caregivers -
VA to Expand Caregivers Program -
Fact Sheet on New Program -

To apply, go here:


  1. what is the fax number for Atlanta's cg program? Another wounded warrior like myself is wanting to get his into the program. He is under the AW2, not sure if he needs to go through a OEF/OIF person or not. We are part of the Wounded Warrior TRACK Program and would like some help getting this stuff all set up. Thanks- Steven Nihipali

  2. Steven -

    Here's the link to the application for the VA Caregiver Program:

    He will need to have an official separation date, though, before his caregiver can apply.

    Once the application is filled out, they can submit via mail (the address is included on the form) or take it to his nearest VA Medical Center to the Caregiver Support Coordinator. The "preferred" method is to send it by mail, though.

    If he doesn't have a separation day yet, the military has a new program called Special Compensation for Assistance with Activities of Daily Living, or SCAADL, that is similar to the VA Caregiver Program but is for people still on the military side of things. If he's interested in that, tell him to talk with his AW2 Coordinator to get started.

    Thanks SOOOOO much for helping get a fellow soldier squared away!

    Brannan Vines
    Proud wife of an OIF Veteran
    Founder of - an organization dedicated to helping heroes and their loved ones survive and thrive after combat with real world info about PTSD, TBI, and more!

  3. Fantastic Post!!! I am very happy to get this post, Truly nice, Keep sharing like this...